Wednesday, February 14, 2007

And now a word from our sponsors...


I've been biddy with a few things (Chris Daughtry, Oscars and, if he ever calls, Carlos Mencia), so I'll pass the blog over to Gazette video game writer Terry Terrones who wanted to share these thoughts:

Why Rob and Amber Matter
You see it all the time. A sports announcer is courtside at a basketball game as a bunch of morons wave, jump around and generally act like they’ve never seen a camera before. Why do people do this? Because they want to be on TV. And who can blame them, everybody wants to be on TV…well at least that’s the way its seems if you look at television programming today. There’s a reality show that covers just about every relationship, career, competition, or psychological dysfunction known to man. Heck, I even have a reality TV show about myself that’s set to film in two months (okay, not really but I am fielding offers and would love to tattoo goldenpalace.com on my back).
While most people feel that the rise of reality television is one of the signs of the apocalypse, I see its popularity as a good thing…mostly. Film and TV act as our form of escapism. We can’t be Jack Bauer, in fact no one in real life could (I would love that magical cell phone of his though) but its fun to pretend. We can, however, lie and cheat like a “Survivor” castaway or sing as bad as an “American Idol” contestant. We see it everyday at work, or if you’re really lucky, after work on karaoke night. Most reality shows show normal people in unusual situations and because of that we can relate to them more than some actor in desperate need of a cheeseburger solving crimes in a dark room with a penlight. What would I have told Donald Trump if he called me out? Which of my family members would I take with me on the Amazing Race (my brother, easily)? These are real questions that I could actually answer because I can apply to be on these shows. There’s no applying for a job on “The Office!”
And even if you can’t relate to reality shows, the situations they put people in are at least funny or ridiculous. Do you know why I watch “Supernanny?” Partly because I like to say “That’s not ‘ceptable” in a cockney accent to my wife but mostly because it really helps me to appreciate how well behaved my own kids are.
Sure there are reality shows that make me feel hungry (“Americas Next Top Model”, these girls need a sandwich), confused (I’d like to know who thought “Beauty and the Geek” was a good idea) and downright fearful for the human race (ladies and gentlemen, I give you “Breaking Bonaduce”!) but they are at least they’re interesting.
Just like with most network programming, there is plenty of reality junk to avoid but I’m going to go ahead and watch “Rob and Amber: Against the Odds”. Its nice to know there’s a husband out there who’s an even bigger idiot than me.

4 Comments:

At 7:31 AM, February 16, 2007, Blogger Eli the Mad Man said...

Good article Terry! ;)

Hey Andy... how was the Daughtry concert? Tried getting tix, but at $100+ a pop per (on eBay and other secondary sites) because it was sold out... we didn't go. I like him, but I don't pay $100 to see ANYONE.

 
At 8:42 AM, February 16, 2007, Blogger AndyW said...

Daughtry doesn't play until Feb. 27 -- I just had an advanced deadline for the story.

 
At 9:12 AM, February 16, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob & Amber -

Must be tough applying for a job. INTERVIEWER: "What skills do you have?"
ROMBER: "We are competitive to the point of lying, scheming, stealing...."
"we have to have lots of attention..."
"we like being on camera - but have no acting, singing, dancing, modeling talent..."

Well looks like Reality TV is their only career option!! LOL.

 
At 10:58 AM, February 16, 2007, Blogger Eli the Mad Man said...

"Daughtry doesn't play until Feb. 27"

Doh. These last few weeks have been a total blur. Might as well be Feb. 16, 2015. Anywho...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home