Friday, January 26, 2007

Cable rates going up, up, up

I still need some on-the-record comments, so if you want to express your opinion in print, call me at 636-0275
--------------------------------------------------

Comcast customers, brace yourselves. It’s time for the annual rate hike, and this year’s is steeper than usual.

While the rate increase comes hot on the heels of Comcast taking over Adelphia in Colorado Springs, the two aren’t directly linked. Comcast customers in Denver are facing roughly the same increases.

Rates for standard cable — the most popular package, which used to be called classic cable — will break the $50 mark, climbing $3.26 a month from $48.29 to $51.55.At the low end, basic cable goes from $17.65 to $18.54, while at the top end, the platinum digital package goes from $105.99 to $111.99.

In recent years, Adelphia’s average increase was usually 3 to 5 percent. This year, that standard package is going up 6.7 percent.

Percentage-wise, subscribers to the digital classic package take the biggest hit, with rates rising 20 percent from $9.95 to $11.95, on top of the standard cable fee. And if you get HBO or one of the other premium channel groups a la carte, you’ll pay $3 more a month, as rates climb from $15.95 to $18.99.

Not every charge is going up: Customers who use a cable card in their TV instead of a separate box will see their fees fall for the first TV, from $1.75 to nothing. Additional TV’s with cable cards, however, will cost $6.95 each, instead of $4.20.

The new rates go into effect with customers’ March bills.

Comcast acquired the Colorado Springs market from the bankrupt Adelphia last summer and officially took over Dec. 14.

The satellite TV services, DirecTV and Dish Network, are also raising their rates. DirecTV’s basic package is going up 4 percent and Dish Network’s 3 percent.

11 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, January 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is such BULLSHIT!!!! I thought when Comcast came in they said they would not raise the rates..... Direct TV, Here I come!

 
At 8:58 AM, January 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about all the issues Comcast is having with late payments because they printed the wrong payment address on their statements? If you're working on a Comcast article...

 
At 9:02 AM, January 26, 2007, Blogger AndyW said...

I hadn't heard about the address wrinkle -- I'll check into it.

Remember, don't just swear here: Give me a call and swear in print! It's so much more... visceral that way.

 
At 10:31 AM, January 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

add me to the list of ex-cable users...dump these sorry bastards everyone!

 
At 10:33 AM, January 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ME TOO. WAKE UP CALL. ALL THIS MONEY FOR GARBAGE TV. NEVER IN MY LIFE HAS THE PROGRAMMING BEEN WORSE, YET THEY WANT MORE MONEY? FUUGGGGETTTABOUTIT

 
At 10:37 AM, January 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blame it on sports. 2.5 mill for a commercial in the Super Bowl? This is nuts. Cable rates climb because ESPN and Company charge outrageous fees, due to major sports getting billions from ESPNs of the world. We all chip in to pay those morons in sports their millions. Not me, no more. I quit!

 
At 3:32 PM, January 27, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the incorrect address?

My new bill has the payment going to Seattle.

Thanks!

 
At 9:01 AM, January 29, 2007, Blogger Rhonda said...

A tiny bit off topic, but still a Comcast gripe:
I don't have cable, but Comcast is my ISP. I had a question, and the bill had the wrong e-mail address for the help desk. Grrrr!

 
At 10:18 AM, January 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The wrong address was to City of Industry, CA. It was a big mess.

 
At 10:18 AM, January 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recently contacted Comcast to find out if my account number and address for our Adelphia billing had changed since I had not yet received my bill in the mail.

I was told my account number and bill mailing address was indeed changed. The Address I was given was PO Box 34227- Seattle, WA 98124.

Two days later I received my actual statement in the mail and my account number was changed and so was the mailing address. I then noticed a dilemma, the PO Box on my bill was different, it was PO 34744- Seattle, WA 98124.

I proceeded to call Comcast and was told that the PO Box on the Bill was indeed incorrect and that they are in the process of escalating and sending out the correct PO Box. I found out that the incorrect PO Box (37444) is an old Adelphia address based on your location of service and that it takes about 3 weeks to be processed to the correct account.

 
At 6:01 PM, February 05, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love it when people complain about comcast..i had direct tv almost broke my poor neck out when sweeping the snow off the damn tv dish..also why cant comcast. take off mykkt v or fix it right. cant i or others have the right to tell comcast to take it off.?? i just cant wait until falcon bb or the others come and REALLY do a good job on comcast. have a great comcastic day to all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home