Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Showtime for Showtime


I spent last night watching the first four episodes of the new season of Showtime's "Dexter," a drama about a serial killer trained by his adoptive father to hunt other serial killers. I'd always meant to check out the first season, but never got the chance, so I jumped on the DVD's when they arrived on Monday.

And it didn't disappoint. I mean, it's really a pretty trite premise if you think about it too much -- kind of like Clint Eastwood's old cowboy anti-heroes - but the cast is good, the writing is good, and, even if it's a spin on all those CBS procedurals at heart, it makes for wicked fun TV.

The new season doesn't premiere until Sept. 30. I also have the first four episodes of the new series of "Brotherhood" to watch. If those measure up, it'll certainly be time for a "Showtime eclipses HBO" column.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, September 12, 2007, Blogger Eli the Mad Man said...

I caught the show once and liked what I saw, so I ordered up the first season on Netflix. Haven't watched it yet, but your "review" gives me hope! You have been known to be right a time or two! ;) You did save me from the horror that was John From Cincinnati after all!

 
At 10:42 AM, September 12, 2007, Blogger AndyW said...

Yeah, but are you still watching "Tell Me You Love Me"?

I've heard from like four men in the office who got scolded by their wives after they were caught watching the show (or the wives started to watch it and just hated it).

Which kind of suprises me, because "TMYLM" is basically a chick flick. If you leave out the titillation factor, there's nothing in there for the stereotypical man to like (and given that much of the titillation factor comes from, ahem, male prosthetics, the stereotypical man would be sprinting away from the show).

So, does the sex so turn off women that they're unwilling to appreciate the relationship stuff? Or is it that the show is too cold and angry for women to bond with the characters?

And if so, who the heck is the target audience for that thing?

 
At 12:21 PM, September 12, 2007, Blogger Eli the Mad Man said...

Hahaha! Nope, haven't watched that one. I'm not one for shows like that. Sounds, well - cold. If I was a young bachelor maybe the sex scenes would be worth watching, but... I'm not a young bachelor. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home