Thursday, February 21, 2008

Idol lip-synch scandal


Love this. They're accusing Australian Michael Johns, but others may have been as guilty.

I didn't really notice it at the time, but in retrospect, it did seem like something was going on.

Forget the ringers and the rigged voting, if this one's true, it basically throws the entire Idol premise out the window: Seeing how these supposed amateurs face up to the pressures of the camera and the audience is pretty much what the game is about.

I don't see how this won't blow up into a big, darn deal.

Of course, the funniest thing about it is that Johns' dubbed "Light My Fire" was still totally lackluster, despite all the praise the judges heaped on it.

4 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, February 21, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think I believe it. I didn't see any lack of sync with his mouth and the words. I don't know if they use a second mic for the sound consistency. You would think that in this many seasons someone would have flubbed the words or something obvious by now if it was really faked.

 
At 2:40 PM, February 21, 2008, Blogger AndyW said...

That's what I thought watching it on Tuesday - that they were actually picking up the sound with secondary mikes. Still, the site at the link makes a fairly compelling case, especially combined with so many contestants having the flu, the iTunes sales, and "Idol" just being generally pretty sleazy (and I say that with the utmost affection).

 
At 8:28 PM, February 21, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't see it. With specific timing marks in the article (1:40, 1:50, 2:04), I expected strong video evidence ... which wasn't there.

 
At 7:25 AM, February 22, 2008, Blogger Eli the Mad Man said...

Wow, I cannot beleive people still care about this show. After all the bad pub recently - lip syncing, the supposed ringers thing (which as Andy said completely dismisses what this show was intended for in the first place), years of rigged voting rumors... why does anyone watch this dreck? Oh ya - glassy eyed, slacked jawed, droolers being spoon fed entertainment. Oooo, sparkly lights! Ugh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home