Wednesday, January 11, 2006

KKTV names new anchor team



KKTV announced its new evening anchors this morning. They'll be Don Ward, most recently an anchor and reporter at WB2 in Denver and Shannon Brinias, who is a reporter at KIRO/Channel 7 in Seattle.

They'll start in early February.

Ward and Brinias may not be familiar names to most people in the Springs, but I remember Brinias from Seattle and both have a bunch of big market experience.

When KKTV let go/pushed out its longtime anchor team of Eric Singer, Melissa Brown and Mike Madson, there were a lot of questions about what the move meant -- was the station going to go young and cheap, was it giving up on ever catching KOAA? Bringing in anchors from major markets certainly indicates they're serious about going after KOAA.

Of course, it remains to be seen whether viewers will come back to the station without like Singer, Brown and Madson.

We'll have a story with more details in tomorrow's paper.

4 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, January 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah right. Major markets? The only major markets in tv news are the top 5.
Denver is not a major market -- especially the WB. They are so far back in the ratings they almost make KRDO look respectable. And these 2 couldn't be main anchors in your "so called" major markets, so they've been shipped off to you. Yeah, go ahead Colorado Springs, have fun with the refuse from the tv news grinder. Those 2 now running from the fight and licking their wounds in small market america.

 
At 4:25 PM, January 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Going from a reporter in a larger market to an anchor in a smaller market IS a step up for that person. On the other hand, Don Ward was unremarkable at KRDO and the few times I've caught him on WB2 in Denver he remains unremarkable!

 
At 5:13 PM, January 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eh, I will keep watching KOAA. Never was a big fan of KKTV but would watch them on occasion. However, the abrupt firings of Brown, Singer and Madsen sure put a sour note in my mouth.

As for KRDO, I used to watch their sister station when I lived in Grand Junction. Both stations need to update their graphics, anchors and geez, KRDO's website is horrible.

-37 year old native of Colorado - 35 in C Springs.

 
At 11:56 AM, February 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had always been a BIG fan of both Melissa Brown and Eric Singer. I thought there take on the news was personable and they made a great team. I was surprised to hear about them being "let go", read fired. Even my 6 yr. old daughter was upset because Melissa was gone. I personally liked Mike's approach on giving us the weather. All in all they made a great combination to give us the news and weather. Not only that, they were big contributors to the community. I am not at all impressed with the new team and think this will only decrease the amount of viewers watching at 10. I hope that Melissa, Eric, and Mike are finding success here in the city and I wish all of them well. As for watching the news, I think I will be switching, probably to KRDO. Good luck to all three and I personally hope that this brings you better opportunities.

Henry Medina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home