Thursday, February 09, 2006

Grammys blech

Didn't watch, don't care. I grew up with U2, I think Green Day is a great band, and I find Kanye West undeniably catchy, but music is far too diverse, too Balkanized for it to make sense giving one of them a prize over another. It's just silly.

Now on the other hand, I've heard some complaints about how this year's Oscars are out of touch because none of the Best Picture nominees were big box office successes. I think that's stupid, too. I can't tell you whether Kanye West is a better rapper than Kelly Clarkson is a pop singer -- the genres are too different to make that comparison -- but I can absolutely say that Ang Lee ("Brokeback Mountain") is a better director than George Lucas ("Revenge of the Sith"). That one is a love story and the other is a sci-fi action flick doesn't enter into it.

I can't really explain why that is, but it's why I watch the Oscars and not the Grammys. Anyone got a theory on this?

UPDATE: Listings editor Jen Mulson is with me on this one. Rock critic Adrian Stanley, predictably, disagrees. She thinks you could objectively pick the best album of the year. It's just that the Grammys don't do it.

1 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, February 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt out of touch with the Grammy show last night.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home