Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Idol thoughts


I really expected more from an Elvis night.

Daughtry bored me on "Suspicious Minds" and needed to kick it up sooner on "A Little Less Conversation." At least he took a step away from the uber-predictable Daughtry intensity. That was welcome.

Taylor Hicks must have promised his firstborn for a theme night this suited to him, but he was pretty average. I was particularly disappointed by his "In the Ghetto" -- he's way too happy to sell that sappy song. The audience knew he just wanted to get up and start bopping around. Plus, everyone knows Taylor is channeling the fat Elvis, which is bad juju.

I thought McPhee butchered both of her songs.

Which leaves us with Elliot. "I Can Dream" isn't a song I've heard often before, but it seemed well suited to Yamin. "Trouble," on the other hand, was so obviously unsuited for him, it's like Michael Jackson singing Bad. And yet, he totally nailed it, and really sold it to the audience, too.

So McPhee would be my pick to walk, joined by Daughtry in the bottom two. Elliot had so much ground to make up, though, that I won't be surprised if he's on the chopping block. It's actually a good test of how much the audience listens to Simon.

8 Comments:

At 9:46 AM, May 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, unfortunately my girl Kat wasn't that impressive. She'll probably walk tonight, yet overall I find her to be the most marketable.

Elliott keeps getting better and better and probably should win at this point.

Taylor I don't really care for, though I think he'll win. I don't see him having much a long-term career. I think his appeal is the live performance and I think the schtick will get old fast.

Chris is great, yet there's no growth in him. It's the same performance every night.

 
At 9:58 AM, May 10, 2006, Blogger AndyW said...

A lot of singers have made it pretty far with the same performance every night. My money's still on Chris.

Taylor is just kind of a niche product. He'll never be a big star.

It will be pretty weird if the final three are all guys, won't it?

 
At 1:57 PM, May 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like it's a dead heat between Kat and Chris for who gets the boot tonight, according to DialIdol.com

 
At 7:47 PM, May 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok - HUGE disappointment tonight.

Granted - Kat didn't perform on Tuesday...(And the Elvis medley tonight - pul-ese!)

But seriously - now that Chris is gone, we're in danger of crowning the next Ruben Studdard if the public chooses Taylor or Elliott. Nice guys - sure. Entertainers? No.

 
At 9:03 PM, May 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Chris and Kat could be "pop" stars. Taylor is what he is. Elliott is the underdog, but like Taylor not a star.

 
At 7:59 AM, May 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

 
At 8:09 AM, May 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

 
At 8:10 AM, May 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home