Monday, October 02, 2006

KXRM first look

I'm pulling myself away from a Green Bay Packers game to write about this, so I hope y'all appreciate it...

A few audio problems off the bat. Nothing horrible.

The new backdrop is certainly better than the old one at KKTV, but it seems a little narrow, doesn't it? They hadn't moved the set over or unfurled the backdrop when I was hanging out there last week, so I'm seeing that stuff for the first time. And the top of the set looks weird above that backdrop -- it wasn't that way with the old backdrop at KK, was it?

Joe and Stephanie look washed out. I played with the controls on my TV and it didn't help, so I'm thinking it's the lighting there. The shots from outside the studio look OK, too. J&S are both dressed in solid colors. Apropos of nothing, but note it for the style file.

Some tinny audio on Mike Coneen's school security report. Decent story, but a little hard to hear.

Terry's the smoothest part of the show so far. Terry's such an old pro, you could probably pull him out of a coma and he'd go straight to tomorrow's forecast.

Grace Polanski seems to have a pretty thorough report on the teacher sex scandal in Pueblo. She's delivering it from the green wall, though, and the computer cut-out around her image is really choppy. And having the reporter look like a leprauchan next to a giant picture of a sex offender was probably a bad idea.

I'm not in love with the graphic treatments -- everything feels a little busy. For example, in the around the world in 80 seconds thing, the elements were fighting each other.

Bad transition from the prescription medicine story to the cut-away to commercial. My wife said, "Whoa, that was abrupt," lest you think I'm nitpicking. I think you could hear Stephanie groan a little, too.

Terry looks fine against the green wall. Maybe it was just the solid backdrop causing problems for Polanski? The weather projections behind the Pikes Peak/Pueblo cityscape were pretty cool.

Let me amend my graphics comment - the title cards, like the "Foxlight" celebrity thing, look cool. It's the other stuff that's busy.

Now we've got the requisite story about a Fox show. It's a feature on a stunt man for "Prison Break," which I saw in the Wisconsin State Journal two weeks ago. Just sayin'.

The story on the 2nd BCT deploying proves Joe wasn't BSing about not having reporters do meaningless live shots. Good for him. Rachel Reglado's voice-over was a little rough, but the story appeared to be well photographed. I did not, however, see my buddy Josh in there. Hope you find some whitewater in Baghdad, man.

Laura Forbes story on the baby gorilla is pretty smooth. Won't this story be in the top half of the newscast on the other channels, though? With an hour newscast, there's that balance to strike between having good stories sprinkled throughout the newscast and putting the top stories at the top of the hour. You may disagree about cute animal stories leading the news, but it's pretty well established that viewers like them. I do. The other stations will run that 2nd BCT story pretty early, too. It'll be on the front page of the Gazette.

Regalado gets the annual Venetucci pumpkin story, too. She's better doing the stand-up than the voice-over. Her collar looks like Sally Fields' wimple from "The Flying Nun," though. Pretty funny. Watch out for gusty winds.

You see the tease for sports? KXRM went without a sports anchor. Joe will be handling it - doing the headlines and then something more featurey. I like sports, and nothing against John Owens and company, but I don't think it's a bad way to handle it. We'll see how it works.

Joe's smooth, but it's just the Haynesworth story. The Monday night game is over by now - it would be good to give that score, at least. (Packers got crushed in the second half, curses!). I'll reserve judgment for now.

And that's the show.

17 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, October 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

crap, crap, crap. This is what all the excitement was about. It doesn't look or sound or feel any better than when KKTV 11 did it for them. The teacher story was boring - gee let's talk to a da and an attorney. Wow, that's inventive.

 
At 8:56 PM, October 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are apparently not going to have a sports segment? That's OK with me, I have umpteen channels of ESPN and Fox Sports and Vs. and mtn. and NFL Network and etc etc etc etc... I find it interesting that they opted not to have one. Good for them.

 
At 8:59 PM, October 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No Live Shot from Fort Carson? I was wondering is that a decision of theirs or do they just not have a live truck? If they didnt, that would make it pretty hard, and would probably be a good reason why they're not doing frivelous live shots.

 
At 9:06 PM, October 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

they do not have live trucks. that's why they won't be doing meaningless liveshots but instead will be doing meaningless reporter studio liveshots. what's the difference? plus, they don't have photographers to do liveshots.

 
At 9:23 PM, October 02, 2006, Blogger AndyW said...

Well, the funny thing is that they have three photographers, so they can do those live shots... once the robotic cameras arrive. For now, they need their photographers to run the studio cameras.

I hope Joe sticks with it, but there's got to be a big temptation in TV news to do the live shot, just because.

 
At 9:23 PM, October 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Overall, everything seemed to go well for their first broadcast. As a viewer with no tv background, I don't know about the problems you insiders focus upon. The stories and ease of delivery are most important to me. I enjoy seeing local news pieces, human interest stories and the weather segments. Fox's anchors and reporters looked comfortable in their positions tonight. It's so convenient to have a nine o'clock news program for viewers who want to watch the news but turn in early. Thanks Fox 21!

 
At 9:34 PM, October 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not bad for the first night of "live news."
Few technical glitches, but nothing major.
Joe Cole is Joe Cole, Terry is steady as usual and Stephanie emphazisessss the last word of each sentanceeeee like she always doesssss. (most people get rid of this annoying annunciation habit in the fist year or so in the businesssssssss.) Nice weather and other graphics.
It will be a challenge to make the second half hour worth watchinngggggg...using more important stories rather than animal/other fluff stuff will keep viewers through the rest of the second half hourrrrrrrr.

 
At 9:48 PM, October 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing impressive, and I mean nothing. Good thing they are on at 9pm, otherwise they wouldn't have any viewers.

 
At 9:49 PM, October 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job Joe, Stephanie, Terry and everyone at Fox 21! Enjoyed the new reporters - all seem very strong and professional. You make a great team. From a viewer's perspective, it was a great show. I like having more in-depth stories and I like Terry's forcast at the top of the hour. The pictures of the mountains were nice. I see great things in the future of this show!

 
At 10:06 PM, October 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I was transported to tiny town usa and watching the news there. I never thought I would say this, but maybe bring in a consultant to help turn this into a real news hour. When Joe said he'd do it my way, I hoped he didn't mean it. This show was horrible as far as news content. Grace's voicing of the story was probably the only saving grace, no pun intended, of all the reporter tracks. The show had no pacing, no rhyme or reason for where stories were placed and just plain no meat. Come on it's sad when I have to say 13 looked major market compared to this stuff.

 
At 10:29 PM, October 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone working over here at KXRM I can tell you the goal was to look like the show never left KKTV so if it looked like the same show that KK produced we scored. Considering the technical difficulties earlier in the week with the mock newscasts tonight was an A+. We can do live shots, we have one live truck right now another on the way, and three photographers. Joe is selective as to when we can go live. There were some timing issues with the show (lets just say sports wasn't supposed to be 1 story) but those should be resolved. We're just getting started.

 
At 11:13 PM, October 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kxrm needs live trucks and some one to do the sports there. i guess.mr dant will come up with him soon.Im not all that impressed with the old set there like andyw. said.thought they would have come up with own new news set.all in all love the weather computer also and terry.but ill switch too. cw2 and ernie time to time.

 
At 12:20 AM, October 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think we can make a final judgement based on the first night. Barrington wanted to throw together a news operation on the cheap, and that's what they did. I thought the stacking was a little all over the place, and the overall pace was a little slower than what we've come to expect. Obviously there were minor audio issues but these bugs will be worked out. We need to give them some time and see what the newscasts look like in 6 months. Mr. Gerbstadt needs to work on some of the graphics a little more, especially the southeast Colorado tonight/tomorrow forecast.

 
At 12:38 AM, October 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the jury is still out. There were some bumps, no doubt, but no major turbulance. Audio can be fixed, lighting can be tweaked, and animations can be adjusted.
I'm no expert, but it seemed like a good newscast. I like FOX. I like Terry. I'm not sure about Joe and Stefanie. The reporters looked young, but they looked comfortable and professional. Let's not kid ourselves. This is Colorado Springs, not Denver.
None of the other statoins really do it for me... and when it comes down to it, I want to hear the headlines and weather before 10PM. I'll keep watching.

 
At 8:16 AM, October 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think we need to wait and see how this show progresses over time. Who are these people giving everyone over at Fox such a hard time? Many people on this post sound a bit bitter about news in general. What happened to glass half full? I think Fox did a great job for their first night - no major problems and the new staff looks great. Nice to see Stephanie and Joe back as a team and I think the show is a work in progress. I'm going to keep watching not because they are on at 9:00 (although that is an added bonus in this town) but because I like how conversational and smooth the anchors are - not to mention credible. Stephanie has gotten tons better since she last anchored with Joe and the evening news here needs a conversational male anchor like Joe. He seems like one of us - not some stiff, robot anchor like others I've seen. All in all, I think they did very well and I'll keep watching to see what they become.

 
At 9:38 PM, October 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy said:

"Well, the funny thing is that they have three photographers, so they can do those live shots... "

But what about the live trucks? Do they have any?

 
At 10:03 PM, October 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes. Fox has one live truck - one for now and more to come in the future.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home