Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Time's up for Day Break


It looks like ABC's "Day Break" will be consigned to TV-on-demand hell come January. ABC is giving the serial's slot to "Knights of Prosperity" and some other sitcom. Don't know if the show will be pulled earlier than that or not.

I loved the pilot for this and I still think Taye Diggs is great in it, but the show hasn't pulled me in. I can't quite put a finger on what's missing. Maybe it's, because of the unique "Groundhog's Day" plot, there's not the requisite element of "24" urgency. A thriller without suspense is just a mystery, and would be better off played that way.

"Day Break" was supposed to replace "Lost" for that show's entire 13-week midseason hiatus, but it's hemorrhaged viewers since it lost its "Dancing with the Stars" lead-in. Ah well.

4 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, December 06, 2006, Blogger Eli the Mad Man said...

WOW! I'm in awe. Sure, it wasn't the greatest show on TV, but...

Andy, have you seen anything like this before? the almost immediate axing of shows if they dont' generate instant ratings? that's gotta be what... half dozne shows (at least) That haven't even really made it out of the gate.

Looks like American's lack of patience, and penchant for NOW NOW NOW immediacy, has finally caught up to television.

I'm at the point now where I'm not willing to give ANY new show a chance. I'm tired of network execs, in all of their "infinite" wisdom, wasting my time.

 
At 6:20 PM, December 06, 2006, Blogger AndyW said...

Actually, the networks have been slower with the axe this year than in many past seasons. I can think of a few shows that were axed after a single airing ("Emily's Reasons Why Not") or before EVER airing ("Commando Nanny").

"Smith" got the quickest hook this season, and even that got three episodes. Plus, given the strength of CBS' schedule, you can understand why they'd have less patience than the CW or NBC.

 
At 2:31 PM, December 11, 2006, Blogger Warren Epstein said...

I think the problem with "Day Break" is that each episode is about the multiple ways Taye's character can screw up.

We know that if he ever figures everything out and does the right thing -- as Bill Murray did in "Groundhog Day -- the series is over.

But I hate it when you get sucked into these things and it gets canceled before you can find out what it was really about.

"Nowhere Man" was the most frustrating example. But can you imagine if they canceled "Lost" without learning any more about the island than we know now? There'd be an uprising.

 
At 8:07 PM, December 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the show. I hope they change their minds and let it run to its conclusion. Taye's a great actor, Moon Bloodgood is terrific. In fact, I love the whole cast. It's an exciting show, and I want to find out who the ultimate bad guys are. I'm also intrigued about his sister's part in all of this, and his father too! Wish they wouldn't cancel the show.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home