Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Slippery when wet

Not being a big Bon Jovi fan, I'm fully prepared to hate tonight's episode.

Phil obviously enjoyed the music. Nothing more than a good karaoke performance, but you'd have to think he'd be safe after that.

Jordin just destroyed that song. Wow, that was bad. She was totally trying to channel Pat Benatar, except I think she's too young to know who Pat Benatar is. And she did a bad imitation anyway. My wife actually said "I have more respect for Bon Jovi after that." Hard to see how that went so wrong, considering...

LaKisha just nailed it. Most of that was song choice, but as my hazy recollection of the '80s has it, I think Bon Jovi had a bunch of bluesy power ballads like that, any of which should suit the show's soul singers like LaKisha. I still didn't think she connected with the song emotionally, but the power notes made up for it.

Blake - I actually liked it. I hate that "You Give Love A Bad Name" (or is it "Shot Through the Heart"?), so that may be part of it, but it seems like the kind of song that some deejay would actually cut up, remix and modernize. Plus, he sounded pretty decent on the big chorus. Also: Great haircut. He was an old, old looking 25-year-old and this is a much younger look.

Chris - I so thought this would be the week Chris headed home. And you know, could be. But that was a pretty good cover. I would have given him massive props if he could have rocked the cowboy hat, but still, he made me believe he meant what he was singing, and I never thought I would.

Melinda - Look at her rock. She's totally faking it, but doing a great job of it. I think she's backed up enough rock bands to understand how to step out and do a little rock.

Hey, George Bush giving a shout-out. Cool. He did pretty good, too. My wife -- not his biggest fan -- said, "That was tolerable."

So, two go home. Who would you pick? (No, you can't pick George and Laura). I've got to think Jordin has done enough up to this point to stick around, but there are a lot of people who vote based on the performance they just saw. Was Blake too experimental? LaKisha simply running out of luck? Phil has too small a fan base?

I have no freakin' idea. Makes me actually want to watch tomorrow night.

Wait, I've got to throw some kind of guess out there. I say: Chris and Jordin. Prove me wrong America. Prove me wrong.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9:59 PM, May 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would say Chris & Lakisha.

See might have nailed it, but it wasn't a song familar to people.

I think Jordin has the most potentially out of all the remaining Idols when it comes to a career.

Melinda is safe and is this years Taylor Hicks... Whatever happened to him? :)

Chris is forgettable and LaKisha for the reasons stated above, plus I don't find her likable.

Blake hangs on and Phil stays because I believe the country audience and middle America like the guy.

Hey Andy - Looks like Comcast is adding some HD channels (three in the 700's and four in the 800's). How about you call them huckleberries up and see if they give you the straight dope? :)

Ciao Mein,

TC

 
At 7:38 AM, May 02, 2007, Blogger AndyW said...

They've pulled a few of the lower-tier channels recently, so maybe that was to free up some space for the HD.

 
At 7:47 AM, May 02, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as it's any combination of 2 of the 3 guys, I'll be satisfied. Jordin's performance sucked, but we all know she can sing ... so hopefully America remembers that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home