Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Idol Gives Back

Again, I think "Idol's" intent is praise worthy, but the execution is clunky.

I do wonder how they'll do - when I interviewed Nigel Lythgoe for that Chris Daughtry story a while back, he made a very astute point: Picking up the phone and making a free call is one thing, but when the show is over and fans have to go out and pay their hard-earned money for an album, it's a totally different ball game. This seems like the same situation, not to mention the difficulty 12-year-old girls may have in getting their mom's credit cards.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they'll do OK. But $20 million OK, or $100 million?

And Seacrest totally had me hooked with that "most shocking elimination ever." But after he told Melinda to sit down, I just smacked myself on the head: Nobody's going home tonight. Duh. Lame, too, although I understand the motivation.

UPDATE: Called it - although kicking off two next week seems pretty damn mean. It's not really a week off then, is it? They just messed with Jordin for no reason at all, didn't they?

Have to say, though, that Phil does the Bono thing pretty well.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 7:51 AM, April 26, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And did you see the very beginning? Did Seacrest forget he was on LIVE tv? (...well, it was LIVE in LA when they taped it for playback in other time zones, that is).

He flubbed his line so he started over! He said "no, let's do this right", then told the camera man to back up and he started over with the "3, 2, 1...."

??????????????????

I also quickly figured out that no one was getting booted. When it came down to Jordan and the others, it was pretty obvious. If I were her, I would have hit Seacrest with a swift right-hook for yanking my chain like that! That was just cruel.

~Lucy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home