Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Idol idle


I can't muster up the enthusiasm to do a performer by performer breakdown, but I just want to take exception to the "David Archuleta rules the universe" meme making its way around the Internet this morning.

Yeah, the kid can sing. Yes, he's genuine and charismatic. Sure, that was a very good performance.

But I will swear to my dying day that his version of John Lennon's "Imagine" just murdered the song. It was an awful, pop, boy-band arrangement that sucked the heart right out of the music. Archuleta did a very good job delivering it, but still, if that was the original version of the song and Lennon's was the cover, no one would remember the original and the cover would be a monster hit.

Let's not let him slide just because he's 17.

Elsewhere, I liked David Hernandez, David Cook and Chikezie. I don't think trying to out Freddie Mercury Freddie Mercury is ever going to be a good idea on Idol. I'm beginning to think covering Karen Carpenter ought to be in the same category. Jason Castro is my favorite among the guys, even though he stunk it up last night.

I really do think a guy will win this year. There just seems to be a yawning charisma gap on the women's side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home