Monday, July 21, 2008

CBS finally skates on Super Bowl incident

Maybe better late than never, but a court has thrown out the FCC's $550,000 fine against CBS for the Janet Jackson Super Bowl booboo from, um, FOUR YEARS AGO.

Actually, I'm not opposed to there being some kind of sanction for indecency, I just hate the way the current system is set up and administered. The FCC is the wrong organization to be overseeing this. They're in charge of frequencies and broadcasts standards ... but technical standards, not moral standards. Plus, the process they have is totally insane.

As arbitrary and capricious as the MPAA movie ratings are, at least they're voluntary and independent.

2 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, July 22, 2008, Blogger AndyW said...

Really? I don't have any hard evidence, but my sense is that a lot of people thought the whole thing got blown out of proportion. It goes back to the thing of, why does Janet Jackson get so much more blame than Justin Timberlake? Why CBS and not the NFL? Why fine local stations that had no say in the show?

I dunno, like I said - I'm not opposed to standards and even penalities, I just don't like the way the FCC runs things.

 
At 11:13 AM, July 22, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are arbitrary and capricious :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home