Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Commercial free?

How about an actual television post, for old times' sakes?

KOAA is touting that they'll do their 10 p.m. commercial-free tonight to stay on top of the election results. I think that's perfectly reasonable, although I'd imagine most of the races will be decided well before then - certainly the presidential race and probably most of the statewide races. They'll look smart if decisive results for something big come in right at 10 p.m.

Personally, I don't have a problem with stations running commercials while they continue to scroll results across the bottom. Then again, I've got a pretty big TV, so that may be part of it.

Where are the rest of you turning for your election TV? I'm working tonight, so I'll be lucky to catch a few minutes of "The Daily Show's" "live" coverage while I flip between the locals and the cable nets.

UPDATE: KKTV is going commercial-free, too. On further reflection, I think this is less of a stunt than I was thinking before - I mean, not everyone is as big a politics geek as me. Probably plenty of people are putting their kids to bed and watching the news at 10 like they do every other day.

2 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, November 05, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Andy...having lived in a top 5 TV market..i find the transitions that KOAA makes between the network HD and their own SD programs very jarring and small market...this is a technical question i guess, apparently you cannot scroll things on an HD screen when your own broadcast is still SD..but isn't there a way to do it smoothly?? I mean the whole picture seems to jerk around on screen and the audio sometimes is out of synch..it just looks very unprofessional

 
At 1:01 AM, November 10, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

welcome to Colorado Springs. err, Pueblo if you're watching 5/30.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home