Thursday, March 23, 2006

Oh Kevin, we hardly knew ye -- plus some "Lost" thoughts


While Kevin Covais was undoubtably the worst "Idol" remaining not named Ace, I really expected him to go farther... at least as far as Scott Savol anyway. "Idol" fans love stringing along one semi-talented loveable loser. And, unlike Savol, Kevin seemed to know what his role in all of this was: Play the clown, mug for the cameras, enjoy the ride as long as it lasts. I was surprised to see Bucky in the lowest three, although he was pretty terrible this week.

Meanwhile, over on ABC, "Lost" returned from another self-imposed hiatus with an episode that was mostly filler (but promised some interesting stuff for next week). Gazette video game reporter Terry Terrones weighs in:

Is it just me, or has "Lost" lost its mojo? I'm serious! Durings its
first season, I was just like Chris Rock in "New Jack City." I was an addict.


Now, I can't even remember the story line anymore because I have to wait a
month between new episodes.My wife, who is significantly smarter
than me so I believe pretty much everything she tells me, thinks the producers,
or ABC, are doing this on purpose. She thinks the protracted breaks create more
drama. Its a strategic move. She may have a point.

While it sure ticks me off that I have to wait between shows, just like everyone else, I'm
still tuning in. But I'm not completely sold on this idea. While I
am about as big a "Lost" fan as you'll ever find (I bought the Season 1 DVD
the day it came out), I'm losing my enthusiasm. Like most Americans,
I have short term memory issues and a need for instant gratification.

During the time the last new episode of "Lost" aired, the following events happened:
A new season of "The Sopranos" started, Bode Miller won 12 Olympic gold medals
in bobsledding and the last episode of "Friends" aired.

Okay, so maybe only one of those are true. Like I said...short term memory issues. So
here's my message to the head honchos over at ABC: "Get your
heads out of your collective butt and quit screwing with my favorite show. I
don't have the patience to wait 3 weeks for new episodes. One week, fine. Two
weeks, you're pushing it. Three weeks? Over the span of three weeks, if I don't
see something consistently, I forget just about everything including (but not
limited to) my debit c! ard pin number, my dogs name and what kind of car I
drive. Quit teasing us ABC! America just doesn't have the attention span. And
neither do I." Now if you'll excuse me, I forgot where I parked my
car.

1 Comments:

At 3:08 PM, March 26, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Idol has sunk to new lows... Barry Manalow? You HAVE to be kidding. What's his target demographic again?

Tuning out of AI...

-V

 

Post a Comment

<< Home