Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Bad timing

At a breakfast for local religious leaders a couple weeks back promoting Tivo's KidZone service, I got to talking with one of the ministers about "Friday Night Lights." And I was going on about how the show portrayed religion and heartland values and was a good show without going all Hollywood and how he should check it out.

Yeah, well the last two weeks, not so much... I mean, I still like the show -- I can appreciate it just for the acting and writing. But there hasn't been a lot of praying recently.The focus has really been more on the promiscuous sex.

Having said that, my problem with last night's episode was how poorly the football scenes were done, which undercut my willingness to ignore the other logical flaws in the story (still hate Lyla sleeping with Riggs and her undergarments didn't look like your average jogging attire, liked but didn't believe Voodoo's "arranged marriage" speech, didn't think Street would glom onto Murderball the first time he saw it, etc.).

Good "Heroes" eppy, though. Mr. Horn-Rimmed-Glasses had a great take when he heard about "Save the Cheerleader," I saw the evil Niki setting up DL thing coming, but still liked it, Hiro continues to rock.

UPDATE: And, upon refelection, is DL (Leonard Roberts) the least-convincing tough-guy thug since Gun (J. August Richards) on "Angel"? I think I'm right about this. Heck, their real names, Leonard? J. August?, ought to make it clear that these guys cannot play tough like, say, Ice Cube. Or even Ice-T.

And, IMDB tells me, Leonard was a guest star on a bunch of "Buffy" epsiodes. I think he was one of the members of the Initiative in the bad Riley years. It all comes together. Gun was way better after he got the lawyer-brain transplant.

4 Comments:

At 12:38 PM, October 31, 2006, Blogger Eli the Mad Man said...

Andy, Andy, Andy... how can you "still like the show" and "appreciate it just for the acting and writing" then turn around and say... "my problem with last night's episode was how poorly the football scenes were done, which undercut my willingness to ignore the other logical flaws in the story."

Say what? ;)

As for "Heroes"... oh ya! This show just keeps getting better and better. Had NO clue that Eden was teamed up with Horn-Rimmed-Glasses. THAT was a shocker! And if you (not YOU, everyone/anyone) can't like Hiro... come on! His line, "I had a sword," complete with that dreamy I-wanna-be-a-hero fantasy look... that was classic!

 
At 1:04 PM, October 31, 2006, Blogger AndyW said...

Oh come on, you could drive an aircraft carrier through the logical holes on "Heroes" (or most other primetime programs). But we put up with them because we like the characters and the plots and everything sort of works.

It's when something that should work doesn't that we're jarred out of our suspension of disbelief and forced to skeptically analyze everything we've seen. Thus, when the football scenes fell flat, it heightened my annoyance at the other stuff.

I feel a column coming on...

 
At 1:54 PM, October 31, 2006, Blogger Eli the Mad Man said...

> Oh come on, you could drive an
> aircraft carrier through the logical
> holes on "Heroes" (or most other
> primetime programs).

HAHAHA! That is very, very true! Just razzing ya, Andy! It's my lot in life. ;)

I wonder if Hiro could teleport an aircraft carrier through time. :)

 
At 5:11 PM, November 01, 2006, Blogger Don McCullen said...

Andy,Eli

Disengage your realism and enjoy the show.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home