Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Friday Night Lights? Anyone?

Seriously, if you're not watching this show, what the heck are you watching?

Remember when "The Sopranos" was worth $12.95 a month, just so you wouldn't miss out on a single episode? This show is that good. It really is. There's nothing else on TV like it.

UPDATE: I did successfully convince a couple of female co-workers to watch last night's episode. They agreed the acting and the writing were very good and that there's nothing like it on TV, but they couldn't get past the football thing. Everytime someone mentioned football or there was a football scene, they just tuned out.

I think this is weird. I don't stop watching medical dramas because hospitals smell funny, you know? I guess if you're not a football fan, living in Broncos country can make you feel like an oppressed minority.

Another co-worker is with me on "Lights." One thing we both agree is refreshing is the way the show deals with religion.

It's not a central theme, like "7th Heaven" and it's not saccharine, but it's part of the fabric of the characters' lives.

The people in "Friday Night Lights" pray when someone's in the hospital. I can't remember seeing that on "ER" ever, even though it's the most natural thing in the world. And they pray before football games. And sometimes before dinner.

I don't think the religious stuff is put in the show to appeal specifically to Christians - if it is, it sure ain't working. I think it's in the show because that's the way people in small-town Texas live. Anyway, I like it because it feels real and it's not something Hollywood usually does.

11 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, October 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unitl I get my DVR from directv, I will be watching NCIS. Everything I have heard about Friday Night Lights reminds me of a combination Varsity Blues and Remembering the Titans, good movies, but can see it make a show out of which is what Friday Night Lights. You can only have so many storylines about a football team. Like all sports drama, after a short time, they run out of ideas.

 
At 11:39 PM, October 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So nice to hear from an anonymous expert. If they can't come up with storylines then the show will flop, but who are you to say they "can only have so many storylines about a football team." I think we'll just call you myopic minded misfit.

 
At 8:16 AM, October 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this show and hope it builds a significant enough audience that NBC will keep it on the schedule.

 
At 10:59 AM, October 11, 2006, Blogger Eli the Mad Man said...

Just read your update to LIGHTS. Interesting thing about the religion. I'm as big a football fan as the next guy (though not a Donkey fan whatsoever). Plus, I played some college ball. Based on the previews and commericals, this show appealed to me about as much as watching grass grow. I have no idea why either. Maybe because it looked like "Beverly Hills, 90210" - just reformatted to be "Grid Iron Hotties, Texas Style." ;)

 
At 11:21 AM, October 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Tivo'ing FNL, but not watching it yet.

I've been burned by too many shows that I like getting cancelled, so I changed my plan this year.

I'm Tivo'ing the shows I think look good (FNL, Jericho, Six Degrees and The Nine), but I'm not watching them. If the series gets picked up for the year, then I'll watch. If the show is cancelled, I'll delete the show without watching.

 
At 12:29 PM, October 11, 2006, Blogger Don McCullen said...

"Unitl I get my DVR from directv, I will be watching NCIS."

It needs to be MOVED AWAY from NCIS along with Dancing with the Stars, and House.

I have predicted correctlty that FNL would be tackled because of all of these shows in my blog.

 
At 1:46 PM, October 11, 2006, Blogger Eli the Mad Man said...

Garbage like "Dancing with the Stars" and its ilk need to vacate the airwaves altogether. What's next... "Going Potty with the Stars?" GRRRR!

 
At 4:02 PM, October 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Eli....if you're such a big football fan, you should know there isn't a team with a donkey as a mascot....now go watch your grass grow.

 
At 8:14 PM, October 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gee isn't the denver donkeys, you little man. and to everyone I guess my new name is myopic minded misfit. Very well defined.
Everyone please name a sport drama that has lasted longer than a season or 2 and I'm not limiting to football either. Hmmm. I though so. not too many. Just off the top of my head, the only one that lasted a few season was White Shadow, oh, I'm sorry most if not all of you weren't born yet.go to NBATV and watch it, you may learn something about sports drama. BTW, when you show me your name, I'll show you mine.

 
At 8:36 AM, October 12, 2006, Blogger AndyW said...

Well, "Arli$$," although it did blow chunks the whole time. No accounting for taste.

And, technically, "Everybody Loves Raymond" was about a sportswriter.

Anyway, I'd argue that there's never been a sports drama as good as "Friday Night Lights." Maybe a few movies, but no TV show comes to mind.

 
At 9:06 AM, October 12, 2006, Blogger Eli the Mad Man said...

First off, I just love people who can only speak their mind when hiding behind a nom de plume like "Anonymous(e)". Brilliant.

And for the record: the term "Donkey" has LONG been the derogatory nickname used for the Broncos. This coming from a person who grew up and lived in California for 27 of my 39 years. So if I know that, well... it's a pretty widespread thing my friend.

But back to sports dramas... ya, nothing off the top of my head either. "Raymond" can't really be counted since nary an episode ever went much beyond "he's a sports writer." Gotta go with White Shadow as well. Good stuff, from what I can remember of it! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home