Monday, July 16, 2007

20 minutes 'til the Gazette goes live

I know this is super dorky, but it's still kind of exciting to have the lights and cameras and everything in the newsroom. The first "live from the newsroom report" should be at 4:13 on News First Now (Comcast Channel 9).

I'd just like to note that Tom Roeder, the Gazette's military repoter, is one of three people in the newsroom who does, in fact, own a tie (it may be a clip-on - I can't vouch for him). Probably why they gave him first crack at the camera.

Oh, I suppose this is technically the big launch for KOAA's 4 p.m. newscast, too. But we know where the real excitement is coming from.

UPDATE: Speaking of the newscast itself... eh, it's OK. I was expecting something a little more conversational. The shooting at the governor's office might have necessitated a more serious take, but they still jumped right away to Mike Madson's weather report. I was thinking Laura Rojas and Madson would do more banter. I'm not opposed to features like the "Chef's Corner," but I think they work better done live on the set or maybe with more of a build-up, so it's not just thrown in. I'd like to have seen more of Madson doing his Madson thing - explaining how sweating cools you off or boiling an egg on the sidewalk or some such.

Poor Tom, he had to follow the moose photo. That's tough.Good thing he had the Special Forces in the prison story -- funniest story of the month. I was hoping he could get Rojas to crack a smile. She seemed a little nonplussed at Tom's wild-eyed tales of gun-toting secret soldiers.

4 Comments:

At 5:00 AM, July 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy,
How about an article with Laura and Mike explaining their point of view to the new newscast?

 
At 8:00 AM, July 19, 2007, Blogger AndyW said...

I talked with Laura and Mike before the launch. That's where my expectations for something more featurey came from. Anyway, I don't think it's fair to judge from the first show -- I just wanted to offer my initial reaction.
I've been kicking around the idea of doing a comparo and contrast of all the "new" news shows once Fox launches its a.m. in August - although it might be more fair to compare the "subchannel" shows.

 
At 7:00 PM, July 23, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pretty good shew.. if i may say, but we still have a lot of news for this tv market,its dullsville man..

 
At 8:58 AM, July 24, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

has the cross promotion helped the Gazette's view and approach to media coverage?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home