Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Advertisers serving Peacock for Christmas dinner

Things are not looking shiny and bright for NBC this holiday season.

Keep in mind that these troubles come before the network has run out of new episodes. We can expect that things will get worse come January. Or - an unfortunate but real possibility - running "Deal or No Deal" 20 hours a week may actually improve NBC's ratings. In which case, "Friday Night Lights," "30 Rock," "Journeyman," and maybe "Chuck" and "Scrubs" and who knows what else will be on thin ice indeed.

4 Comments:

At 1:18 PM, December 11, 2007, Blogger Eli the Mad Man said...

Pretty shocking given the 12,876,439 car commercials I see every hour. Or the 13,267 commercials for "this drug does this, with these side effects."

I hate commercials. HATE. I actually go out of my way NOT to buy something I see a zillion commercials for. Ads have the exact opposite effect to me.

That's why I watch no live show... and I swear to the TV gods that if could watch a taped sporting event I would. Sporting events are far and away the worst offender of commercialitus. It's repulsive.

 
At 1:35 PM, December 11, 2007, Blogger AndyW said...

Yeah, but how much of what you watch is NOT HBO and Showtime and the rest? Everything else is ad-supported and I'm pretty sure television would be repulsive all over without those ads.

Given the growth of online streaming, however, we may soon get the chance to find out.

 
At 2:37 AM, December 12, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the point of the story is not the car commercials, it;s that the networks are running low on program inventory. Remember shows such as "Law and Order," and "Medium," are returning first run after the holidays.

 
At 10:11 AM, December 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully, a prolonged writers strike will put pathetic networks such as NBC out of business.

At least, this means the Olympics, NHL, and Sunday Night Football will be carried by a real network, and hopefully CW and My Network will move to a full powered station here in the Springs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home