Friday, February 17, 2006

Speaking of "Extreme"

I've got a short story on tomorrow's TV page about Joe and Laura Kubena, who nominated Joe's brother John and his family for "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition."

John and his wife, Monica, have twin daughters, both of whom suffered through leukemia as toddlers and one who relapsed last year after 5 years cancer free. John Kubena and family will be on Sunday's episode (7 p.m., ABC).

It sounds like a real tear-jerker, so watch Sunday whether you read the story or not.

2 Comments:

At 5:13 PM, February 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a (local)parent of a 5 year old child with relapsed stage IV neuroblastoma I guess my life could be turned into a tearjerker - but I would hate for it to be referred to that way. We have been through: lots of chemo, surgeries, radiation, stem-cell transplant, and antibody therapy. At the end of the day - we are a normal family with life that is "normal" for us. In fact "normal" is what we strive for. A day in which my son goes to Kindergarten and spends the afternoon playing with his sister is my ideal day. So - I'll take a pass on the tearjerker. Ok - well maybe if they gave me a new house.....

 
At 8:17 AM, February 21, 2006, Blogger AndyW said...

"Tearjerker" refers to the vicarious joy you feel for the family finally getting a break, not reflecting on their misfortunes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home