Friday, August 04, 2006

One more radio thing, then back to TV, I promise

Along with the story on Magic this morning, I had a section on Craig Coffey leaving KVUU, but it got cut because of space -- there's always twice as much news as there is space in the paper.

Anyway, here's the highlights for Coffey fans:

"We love it here, my wife loves it here, but I'm just a city guy," Coffey said, "even though I'll miss all the wonderful people that enjoy the radio station."

Bob Richards, general manger of KVUU and the other Clear Channel stations, said that Coffey has always been one of the most popular voices on Colorado Springs radio. He praised Coffey's community invovlement and fundraising for causes like Hurricane Katrina relief, for which the deejay lived on a porch at the Bourbon Street bar for a week.

"He's been a great community leader," Richards said. "He will clearly be sorely missed."

7 Comments:

At 12:05 PM, August 04, 2006, Blogger Don McCullen said...

Keep talking about local Radio. It will a few weeks until the new TV season starts along with NFL Football. Right now the changes in the local radio market are far intresting.

American's Got Talent is the only new Summer hit show. Other than that its Dance, Hell's Kitchen, and Big Brother. That is if you don't have cable which I don't.

 
At 12:06 PM, August 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My God!

"He's been a great community leader," Richards said. "He will clearly be sorely missed."

This Richards guy has such low standards if he thought his deejay was a community leader. I had to stop laughing before I typed this.

Thank goodness they ran out of paper space Andy.

 
At 12:55 PM, August 04, 2006, Blogger AndyW said...

Coffey raised like $100,000 in that Katrina benefit. He did a huge 9-11 thing too and has put a ton of effort into other causes.

Not many other deejays go to the same lengths he did, or a lot of people for that matter. I don't see why anyone should be cynical about it.

 
At 12:26 PM, August 05, 2006, Blogger Nicole said...

I'm really going to miss Coffey :( He was so human and real, and really did turn things around. He is really what made me turn to 99.9 and make it my at work station.

 
At 4:52 PM, August 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why would he make it your work station if he is only on in the morning?

 
At 5:06 AM, August 07, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because she is a dope.

 
At 12:28 PM, August 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John Z -- You are not alone. I agree TOTALLY with your comments. Like you, I'd heard of the planned format change on radio dial 105.5 (formerly, "The Sax" smooth jazz station, but somehow, I kept hoping the new owners would have a change of heart . . . but no dice! Now, don't get me wrong -- I'm a definite news junkie; however, there's a time and place for everything. With the demise of the Springs' only round-the-clock dedicated smooth jazz station, my morning walks and evening job (the soft, relaxing flow of silky jazz tunes really helped to break up the monotony) will seem pretty boring, indeed. And don't mention Saturday evenings -- no more "Chill with Chris Botti" -- outrageous!! I will definitely join you in boycotting the KRDO radio stations, unless and until at least one of them returns to the smooth jazz format!!!

--JH

 

Post a Comment

<< Home