Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Another frustrating "Lost" episode

I mean come the freak on, Sun's still hesitating?

Any normal person would so completely be over this by now: If you see an Other, shoot them.

Don't wait, don't talk, don't torture, don't play with the food machine, don't break rocks, don't eat breakfast, don't drop the gun.

I'm just sick of this cycle of stupid. OK, the Red Sox joke was funny. But the correct response to Henry/Ben saying "Do what I say and you'll go home?" is to say "How many people will I have kill to get there?" and then to hit him until he makes you stop.

If your plot depends on your protagonists making the same dumb mistakes over and over and over, I think it's pretty natural if your audience gets fed up and finds something less annoying. Another episode like this and I'll be doing just that.

UPDATE: Warren, my boss, thinks I'm off base here (see comments), but I think hard core fans often get swept away by their enthusiasm... just sayin.'

Also, "The Nine" last night. Another pretty good episode, although the characters are feeling less real to me as the show goes on, which is odd. I still can't see how anyone expects this thing to go multiple seasons. There's just not enough mystery to be unveiled there, it seems to me. I haven't seen the ratings, so multiple seasons may not be a problem the producers have.

6 Comments:

At 8:54 AM, October 12, 2006, Blogger Eli the Mad Man said...

Ya, it's starting to drag on too long, too much. Talk about slow! Now THIS - into it's 3rd SEASON (as opposed to the person who said Kidnapped was too slow after 3 episodes) is too slow.

I love Lost, and the season kick off was good, but this one kinda spun it's wheels and got stuck in the sand.

 
At 9:13 AM, October 12, 2006, Blogger Warren Epstein said...

You guys must have been watching a different show. "Lost" continues to be edge-of-your-seat thriller and mystery, and although the flashbacks can be longer than I like, I'd hardly call it slow.

I loved the baseball bit, the scene where the man formerly called Henry was monitoring Sawyer's cage on the old-fashioned TVs, the mystery that the Others have been trapped on the island, too, yet have been in touch with the outside world.

This is all good stuff. Guns blazing may make sense to somebody looking for an action film, but it's not reality.

 
At 9:56 AM, October 12, 2006, Blogger Eli the Mad Man said...

Got nothing to do with "guns blazing." We already know that the Others have some kind of contact with the outside world. So what was "revealed" in this episode did nothing more than add to WHAT WE ALREADY KNEW. Old fashioned TVs? Saw it last season when Jack and Locke found the underground observaotry with all the message tubes filled with journals. Whoopee.

Now, if they would have shown us HOW they're able to know verything about everyone (i.e., the huge files filled with facts); HOW they have contact with the outside world, and WHY... now that would have been interesting!

And the baseball bit was good for a 5 second chuckle, one that didn't add anything new to move the story along.

Don't get me wrong... I absoltuely LOVE this show. Heck, I Moxi it and rewatch it most times to see what I missed the first time around! This one just kinda stalled for me.

 
At 10:05 AM, October 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Lost, but was totally underwhelmed last night.

Season One rocked my world.

Season Two bored me at times.

I have high hopes for Season Three and the premiere made me think I would be rewarded. Last night, not so much.

I don't want 'guns blazing', I just think the show could do better.

 
At 10:26 AM, October 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least we now know that the polar bear in season 1 was an escapee from the zoo in which Sawyer, Jack and Freckles are now captive. And I think I've figured out how the series will end. The survivors, on another of their interminable races through the jungle, will crest a hill on the "island" only to look down into a valley and see U.S. 101 just outside of Santa Barbara! They've been just a few miles from home all along.

 
At 10:57 AM, October 12, 2006, Blogger Eli the Mad Man said...

> At least we now know that the
> polar bear in season 1 was an
> escapee from the zoo...

Holy cow! I never even made the friggin' connection! DOH! Been so long since they brought up the polar bear I forgot all about it. Great call!

> The survivors, on another of
> their interminable races through
> the jungle, will crest a hill on
> the "island" only to look down
> into a valley and see U.S. 101
> just outside of Santa Barbara!

LOL! Too funny! ;)

It would seem that Andy and I weren't the only ones wholly underwhelmed with last nights episode. Whew!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home