Monday, November 27, 2006

Pay it forward

Well, Jodi Champagne, whose act of generosity I wrote about on Saturday, wasn't one of the featured stories on Monday's "Oprah," but it was still a cool story.

In October, "Oprah" had given each audience member $1,000 and asked them to spend the money to help a total stranger. Champagne was in the audience and she decided to help some local families who had lost their homes and possessions in a fire. First, she helped sisters Jenna and Baily Schryver, who lost everything in an apartment fire Oct. 15. Then, using an additional $1,000 that Wal-Mart provided, together they bought clothes and furniture for the Lopez family, who lost everything in a fire just a few days after the Schryvers.

Anyway, Oprah had a lot of heartbreaking and heartwarming stories about helping kids, helping patients, helping the homeless. So, a good hour of television even without a local connection.

1 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, November 27, 2006, Blogger V said...

When I saw Oprah do this - I thought: what a great idea. Encourage others to be generous...

How many of us have said - at one time or another - I would support that organization if only I had the money... Or I'd help that person if I had the room in my budget.

Hopefully those doing the "giving" and those on the "getting" end both remember the experience and replicate it in (perhaps smaller) ways...Paying it forward.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home