Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Dead Pool winner

If you missed it earlier, here's Mary Betka's winning entry for the Dead Pool/favorite show contest:

"My favorite new TV show, without question, is 'Heroes.' Could it be the one-of-a-kind storyline? Perhaps. Could it be the everyday characters with their everyday problems combined with their secret powers, that one could only dream of possessing, that draws me in? Maybe. Or is it that I actually have to pay attention and think during this show, instead of being bombarded with mindless chatter, that has hooked me? Sure.

All of these are great reasons, but they do not come even close to the main reason... my teenage boys. The other night, while I was watching 'Heroes,' my sons (ages 15 and 17) were doing their nightly ritual of cruising the fridge when they stopped by the couch, watched a few seconds, and plopped down and watched the entire episode with dear old boring Mom and Dad.

No cell phones, Game Boys, headphones, Ipods, laptops or locking themselves in their rooms for the night. They stayed right there and (gasp) even discussed the plot during commercials. When it was over, they casually mentioned that they would like to see it again next week!

That, my friends, is why 'Heroes' is my new best friend on Monday nights; family time with 'overbooked' teenagers. You can keep your Dr. McDreamy, I'll keep the 'humans' who walk through fire and fly anytime."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home